Freelance News Reporter/Journalist
Top Class Actions is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented News Reporter/Journalist to join our Editorial team on a contract term.
Please send your resume and attach examples of your work in order to be considered.
About Top Class Actions
TopClassActions.com is the #1 source of class action lawsuit and settlement news. Our focus is helping right consumer wrongs™. We cover everything related to class action lawsuits and settlements, including developing cases, class action lawsuit investigations, and political news that affects everyday consumers — whether it’s product recalls, legislative changes, data breaches, wage and hour laws, rights violations, etc. We take our job of reporting consumer news very seriously because this work is how we empower consumers and give back to our readership community.
About the Role
The ideal candidate knows how a newsroom works and has the ability to thrive in a fast paced environment. They understand content aggregation and writing on deadline, and can keep up with case filings and identify what types of stories will resonate most with our consumer audience. They must be able to produce clean copy, quickly.
The consumer news desk at Top Class Actions covers breaking news stories in class actions, mass torts, product recalls, and open settlements that affect everyday consumers. Top Class Actions’ reporters are able to break down complex legalese from filed lawsuits into digestible news stories informing our hundred of thousands of consumer readers. The consumer news reporter will be responsible for reporting on a wide array of class action and consumer topics and can write multiple pieces of news content each day.
This position is remote, but West Coast schedules are preferred.
What You'll Do:
- Write exceptional headlines
- Intuitively understand sourcing and journalistic standards
- Have no problem handling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
- Submit clean copy in accordance to our house style guidelines
- Have experience writing copy for newsletters and social media, as well as websites
- Working knowledge of Pacer a plus
- Work quickly and efficiently but leave room for creativity
- Track development of all stories to ensure they're being covered in each stage of their legal process, from complaint to file to case status to settlement
- Develop a thorough understanding of US legal system from the perspective of consumers
What We're Looking For:
- Previous journalism experience and excellent news judgement
- Strong editing and writing skills for both copy and clarity
- Able to produce clean, informative copy quickly and on deadline
- Demonstrated skill at reading and distilling lawsuits
- College Degree in Journalism or related field
- Familiarity with SEO concepts and best practices is a PLUS
- Some understanding of Class Action Lawsuits and Mass Tort Litigation a PLUS
Top Class Actions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking candidates who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best newsrooms and companies reflect diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels.